Alumni Network Guidelines
Signing up for the Encounter Alumni Network is easy. Just read the guidelines below and select from the two options that follow.
Already read the guidelines? Skip to the signup options.
To post to this list-serve, send an email to encounter-alumni(at)googlegroups(dot)com.
Three Guiding Requests
Help us preserve and expand Encounter’s values and culture of communication by observing the following guidelines.
- Uphold Encounter’s Values: Especially Kavod (Respect, Dignity & Integrity). The discussions within this group are meant to broaden and deepen our communal conversation. We want to create a rigorous but non-combative online space. And we encourage you to ask questions, especially when you read something you disagree with, and ask that you craft measured responses that mirror Encounter’s model of genuine inquiry.
- Confidentiality: Help us preserve this group as a safe space where authentic conversation can happen. All communication and exchanges sent through this group are strictly confidential. Never forward an email without explicit permission from its author.
- Be Intentional: We all suffer from information overload; lets create a space for intentional and high-level exchange.
- Only send postings relevant to this specific community of Encounter Alumni.
- Share why you are posting an article– what questions you have about it and why you think it is important for, or interesting to, this particular group.
- Be mindful of our Communication Guidelines. When you disagree with someone, consider first asking questions of the poster to clarify his/her positions and remember the value of curiosity.
Encounter’s Staff Role:
Encounter will convene this list-serve and lightly moderate. List members will be given a private friendly reminder if their posts reflect a deviation from the above guidelines. While entirely unlikely, repeat offenses may lead to Encounter terminating said participants’ membership. Occasionally we will re-circulate these guidelines for use — to remind our expanding network of our core values and ensure we uphold an Encounter culture on this list-serve.
THANK YOU in advance — for helping us to create, preserve and uphold a model of community discourse based on our deepest values. We hope each of you will take this model forward.
The Encounter Team
- If you wish to use a Gmail address for this list-serve, please click here.
- To use a non-Gmail address for this list-serve, click here instead.
Please note: changing settings is only an option for those signing up with a Gmail account.
Questions? Please contact groupmoderator(at)encounterprograms(dot)org.