Advanced Leadership Seminar
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Encounter’s Advanced Leadership Seminar 2012–2013
Encounter is dedicated to strengthening the capacity of the Jewish people to be constructive agents of change in transforming the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The Seminar’s Purpose
The Encounter Advanced Leadership Seminar complements and strengthens the mission of Encounter by offering:
- Firsthand exposure to, and exchanges with, Palestinians who represent a diverse array of perspectives and regions in the West Bank.
- Skills training and leadership development based on Encounter’s unique pedagogical model integrating Torah, communication, listening, and group facilitation techniques.
- Weekly (Sunday evenings) sessions of leadership development, facilitation training and trip preparation
- Monthly full-day programs (Mostly Fridays) in the West Bank. Possible sites include:
Bethlehem, Hebron, Ramallah, East Jerusalem, and Nablus
- Opportunities for Seminar participants to serve as a core group of practitioners: by facilitating and volunteer-staffing at least two Encounter programs throughout the year
- A structured process whereby Seminar participants design and later implement an educational project in their home communities. Past projects include: developing an Israel curriculum for high school students which integrates Palestinian voices, and convening an inter-denominational discussion group focused on Israel engagement.
- A network of colleagues built through group work, chavruta (partner) learning, individual mentoring, and connection with Encounter alumni networks and activities upon returning to one’s home community
The seminar is led by Encounter’s Program Coordinator, Jessica Kate Meyer, with the Middle East Encounter team and the participation of guest presenters and civil society leaders.
The Encounter Advanced Leadership Seminar is designed for current and emerging rabbis, Jewish educators, and Jewish community leaders who demonstrate significant commitment to reflectively engaging with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The Seminar will complement a year of rabbinic studies, yeshiva learning or graduate Jewish studies.
Previous participation on an Encounter trip is a prerequisite for the Encounter Leadership Seminar. Applicants who have not yet been on an Encounter trip are invited to attend the Thursday, September 13 — Friday, September 14, 2012 trip to Bethlehem, with a mandatory orientation on the evening of Sunday, September 9, and a mandatory debriefing on the evening of September 24.
Acceptance to the Leadership Seminar is by application and interview. Please click here to download the application and submit it to: email@example.com with the subject line “Your name, Leadership Seminar”. The application deadline is September 14, 2012.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We anticipate a high volume of applications and questions and we thank you in advance for your patience in waiting to hear from us.
The cost of the highly subsidized program (inclusive of all transportation and workshop
expenses) is $500.
Click here to see the schedule for Encounter’s 2011–2012 Leadership Seminar.
Click here to learn more about Encounter’s 2011–2012 Leadership Seminar participants.
Click here to learn more about Encounter’s 2010–2011 Leadership Seminar participants.