Director of Finance and Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Full-Time; *Some US Hours and travel to US at least once a year. Start Date: January 2019
Encounter is a non-partisan educational organization cultivating more nuanced, informed and constructive Jewish leadership on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. To learn more, visit www.encounterprograms.org
The Director of Finance & Operations (DFO) is a key member of Encounter’s senior leadership team and oversees the implementation of all operational aspects of the annual budget of $1.8 million and growing. The goal of the DFO position is to secure the functionality of “business” to drive sustainable growth towards greater actualization of Encounter’s mission. The DFO is responsible for the efficiency of the organization, ensuring the smooth management of all internal functions, specifically: financial management (US & Israel), operations, administration, personnel and human resource compliance in both the US and Israel.
The DFO will be based in Encounter’s Jerusalem office and report to the Executive Director, based in Encounter’s NYC office. The successful candidate is an experienced and efficient leader, fluent in both English and Hebrew, and possesses business acumen, financial management experience, exceptional communication skills, an exemplary work ethic, and is committed to Encounter’s values and mission.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and report regularly on organization’s financial status in Israel and the US.
- Coordinate with US-based financial management firm and Israeli accounting firm to oversee annual audit processes in the US and in Israel, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee Encounter’s work with contracted financial management firm: ensure the creation of and financial reports according to US and Israeli standards in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Staff the Finance Committee liaising regularly with the Treasurer; and effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors, during quarterly board meetings.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements in both the US & Israel.
- Review expense reports for all programs and for the Israel office in general to ensure everything is submitted, recorded, and coded properly.
- Oversee Israeli bank account and petty cash, and coordinate cash flow between US and Israel.
- Serve as legally designated Israeli authorized signatory (mursheh hatima).
- Update and implement all necessary organizational financial policies and accounting practices in the US and in Israel;
Operations & Administration
- Manage the execution, direction and coordination of all programs (field programs and otherwise) within the organization including: managing budgets, organizing schedules (in partnership with the educational team) and ensuring all teams/employees are aware of and accountable of their respective duties.
- Ensure smooth management with all vendors, including researching, negotiating and organizing for our various interactions with them. Ensure efficiencies – hotel bookings, insurance, security, food and transportation for all field programs.
- Ensure compliance with HR standards in the US and in Israel accordingly, and supervise support staff to implement daily HR functions;
- Oversee hiring and termination processes ensuring they adhere to HR standards in the US and in Israel.
- Oversee maintenance of all IT functions, organization-wide database and cloud server.
- Oversee implementation of systems and programs including project management software.
- Insurance: Ensure organization and programs are covered with appropriate insurance policies, negotiate pricing, liaise with brokers.
- Legal: Ensure organization is in compliance with relevant Israeli and US laws; ensure appropriate representation in place; pro-bono and for hire as needed. Liaise with Israeli legal team to draft and implement contracts for Israel-based staff, and for on-call legal services for participants vis-à-vis lawful entry to and from Israel.
- Liaise with Israeli security firm and Board security committee to ensure all field programs meet security standards.
- Coordinate with lawyers to provide on-call legal services for participants and staff.
- Ensure communication between “departments” and systems for flow of information. This includes data management, record-keeping, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the position. MBA or CPA preferred.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience, with proven track record of high-quality work.
- Experience supervising staff and cultivating a team culture.
- Experience in budgeting and in managing financial reporting and analysis; knowledge of accounts payable and receivable, and payroll.
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting on foundation grants (preferred).
- Tech savvy, able to learn new programs quickly; Knowledge of accounting and reporting software; Fluency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Salesforce.
Qualities & Skills
- Integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Encounter’s mission.
- Detail oriented and high-level systems thinker: sees how the details fit into the larger picture.
- Strong decision maker; Able to remain calm under pressure. Able to manage multiple deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, within the organization and as a representative of the organization, and pleasant demeanour.
- Takes satisfaction in helping to build a larger, more-robust organization by creating useable systems.
- Superb manager; a natural creative problem-solver
- Proactive, takes initiative; a driver who executes on all tasks and is accountable for their success, and failures.
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter (PDF format) to email@example.com and indicate your name and “ Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Encounter. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
Encounter is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.