Encounter is an educational organization committed to informed, courageous, and resilient Jewish communal leadership on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We educate and equip Jewish communal and civil society leaders with the experiences, networks, and resources they need to proactively and positively shape their constituents’ engagement with Israel as it relates to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO), a new position at Encounter, is a member of the Executive Leadership Team and the leader of the Program Team, leading the realization of Encounter’s vision through the development and implementation of programmatic strategies. The CPO will hold overall responsibility for all programs and will be focused on turning ideas into reality on-time, to budget, and with maximal impact. The CPO will manage a high-performing team of professionals, spending considerable time supporting their development and investing in their success.
● Serve as a key member of the Executive Leadership Team, working to implement Encounter’s vision, mission and goals. This includes supporting the organization’s work at large, including fundraising and serving as a public face of Encounter in the community.
● Lead the work and management of the Program Team, including supervision of the Chief Education Officer and the Senior Educator, both based in Jerusalem, as well as the recruitment-focused work of the Recruitment & Outreach Associate.
● Lead process to ensure all programs align with Encounter’s strategic vision, ensuring that outcomes, both short- and long-term, are clear, all programs have defined desired impact and a plan to achieve that impact, and evaluation is included in the planning process. Focus on achieving results consistent with the organization’s overall growth and success.
● Hold primary responsibility for Encounter’s annual program plan, guiding the program team through goal and priority setting and creating, scaling, and leveraging strategies for broadest impact. Partner with the Executive Director and Chief Education Officer to ensure programmatic vision aligns with organizational goals. Create a diverse menu of compelling programs, ranging from intensive, experiential travel to virtual gatherings, group network member engagement to one-on-one virtual or in-person engagement, and more.
● Manage all aspects of program development and execution, including setting deadlines, creating project plans, and holding staff accountable for results. Assign work across Program Team members in ways that lift up the strengths of each team member and ensure the highest-quality product and employee experience.
● Identify & build-out an innovative, unique plan for Network Curation. This is an important area of growth for us and we need a visionary, entrepreneurial leader to build it.
● Oversee work of program recruitment, primarily focused on American & Israeli Intensive Leadership Seminars, working with the Recruitment & Outreach Associate to supervise this section of their work.
● Identify opportunities for strategic partnerships that align with short- and long-term goals. Develop and leverage partnerships to strengthen the quality of our programming.
● Create & manage Program Department budgets. Working with COO, provide regular updates on spending to budget. Create other financial reports as necessary for board members, funders, and stakeholders.
● Guide development of, and oversee, a strategic system of impact evaluation across all of Encounter’s programmatic interventions. Establish consistent, objective program performance standards to ensure programs are monitored and evaluated for excellence in appropriate and regular ways. Create regular reports for internal and external stakeholders on how programs, content, and services are delivered, supporting all findings with data, and lead efforts to ensure we remain responsive to feedback from constituents and stakeholders.
● 10+ years experience, including a proven track record of developing, managing, and evaluating new program and growth strategies in a nimble entrepreneurial environment.
● Familiarity and comfort with navigating the dynamics that animate Jewish communal life in the US and Israel as it relates to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict., as well as at the intersection of American Jewish life and Israeli Jewish life.
● Deep commitment to Encounter’s organizational values – specifically, Ahavat Yisrael (Love of the Jewish People) alongside K’vod Ha’Adam (Human Dignity).
● Experience supervising and managing a team of high-level staff members, including colleagues, ideally based in different continents and/or time zones.
● The position is ideally based in New York. We will consider candidates in the same time zone and a short-train ride from New York, including in Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington, D.C. Outside of COVID-times, this position requires travel (approximately 20-30% of time) throughout the year, both domestically and to Israel and the West Bank. For candidates outside the New York area, additional travel on a regular basis to our NY office will be required.
Skills and Competencies:
● Expert project manager, adept at multitasking, unintimidated by uncertainty, and a driver of bottom-line results and outcomes.
● Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management.
● Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
● Salesforce experience is useful, though not required.
● Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
● Strong professional demeanor, an ability to lead with authority balanced with humility, and comfortable with speaking publicly and representing Encounter to diverse stakeholders.
● Radical candor is a principle of engagement at Encounter. The successful CPO must possess a strong sense of self and be able to meet moments of pressure with centeredness and a generosity of spirit.
● Comfortable with giving and receiving feedback.
● Passion, humility, a sense of humor, integrity, resilience, and a positive attitude. The ideal candidate is both mission-driven and self-directed.
Salary & Benefits:
$100,000-$120,000, commensurate with experience, and potential for flexibility dependent on candidate’s experience. Very competitive benefits package, including 100% medical insurance coverage plus 50% coverage for eligible dependents.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter indicating why you think you are the right fit for this position to CPOSearch@encounterprograms.org. Please, no phone calls. Due to high volume, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
Encounter is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.