Encounter is a non-partisan educational organization cultivating more nuanced, informed and constructive Jewish leadership on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. To learn more, visit www.encounterprograms.org
THE OPPORTUNITY: POSITION SUMMARY
The Chief of Operations (COO) is responsible for overseeing the programs and operations of Encounter to ensure programmatic excellence and optimized impact in this newly created position. Encounter is in a period of rapid organizational growth and the COO will play a critical role in partnering with the Executive Director to ensure Encounter is poised to continue its success and build upon it into the future. Keeping the mission in the center of all of the organization’s work, the COO will translate Encounter’s vision and strategy into operational tactics, fortifying the organizational infrastructure needed to achieve Encounter’s mission.
Encounter is at the forefront of catalyzing a cultural shift in how Jewish communal leaders engage with and around the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The COO will oversee the cultivation of a positive and generative organizational culture of excellence aligned with Encounter’s core values, promote a positive work environment, ensuring alignment between staff and mission, and guarantee that internal and external work is performed at the highest levels of excellence.
Optimizing performance and systems will be a primary focus in the first year. The COO must be a strong- systems builder, a creative problem solver and someone who emphasizes organizational priorities, clarifies strategies, and implements systems that support the team, the work, objectives and mission.
The successful candidate possesses a demonstrated track record of leading change, managing teams, strength in internal operations oversight and strong financial management skills. The COO will be responsible for managing the budget, overseeing forecasting, human and financial resource management, operational prioritization and team development.
Leadership & Management:
● Partners with the Executive Director in directing the activities of Encounter’s offices in NYC, LA and Jerusalem;
● Empowers staff to work autonomously and creatively toward implementing Encounter’s vision;
● Oversees Human Resources. Leads the processes for hiring new staff, annual staff performance reviews, and works with staff to design and implement all personnel procedures;
● Leads efforts to promote and sustain a positive, generative work environment that supports and motivates staff toward professional growth, autonomy and high performance;
● Facilitates collaboration and strengthens internal communications, program planning processes and clarity of roles throughout the organization including between Encounter’s Jerusalem and North America teams’ offices.
Strategy & Planning
● Collaborates with the Executive Director to set annual and long term goals for programmatic and financial growth, and monitoring progress to goal;
● In the near-term, assures the effective implementation of Encounter’s strategic plan, scaffolding immediate, near and intermediate change requirements while positioning Encounter for greater stability and greater impact;
● Oversees Encounter’s annual program calendar and development plan, ensuring consistency between both programmatic and fundraising goals, and monitors progress of program activity and development toward strategic goals;
● Exercises thought leadership on the successful execution of Encounter’s marketing, business development plans, as well as monitoring and evaluation which includes benchmarking indicators of the program’s impact, donor experience and establishing plans to enhance and optimize them.
Infrastructure, Finance & Operations
● Responsible for stewarding the financial management of Encounter in partnership with the Executive Director;
● Oversees Encounter’s relationship with all outside vendors including legal, accounting, insurance and security firms, the execution of Encounter’s annual audit, Encounter’s PEO Justworks, landlord, etc.;
● Oversees ongoing program development and implementation and the function of daily systems and coordination of workflows across departments;
● Leads oversight of the management of all back-end IT and technology systems, specifically the overhaul, upgrade and implementation of custom-designed Salesforce platform, including leading the accompanying change management process; The technology migration will constitute a major focus during the first year, ensuring that all users are fully trained and that reporting processes provide the executive team with the information needed to effectively manage their functions;
● Ensures the delivery of high quality program and rigorous program evaluation, while managing for current and future growth;
● In close collaboration with staff, ensures the ongoing quality of all internal systems including financial management, human resources, and daily operations;
● Oversees the implementation of an annual communications calendar, coherent with programmatic and fundraising goals, with the goal of creating a stronger brand and engaging key stakeholders;
● Supervises the writing of external materials and ensures the consistency of messaging and brand positioning.
The successful candidate is a seasoned professional, described as a “go-getter,” ambitious and able to drive towards high-quality measurable outcomes. Creative problem-solving is a natural skill set, and a demonstrated track record of leading change and systems implementation with experience on a high-performing team are non-negotiable. Exceptional interpersonal skills are presumed, as is the ability to manage multiple roles inherent in working in a dynamic, fast-growing organization. The COO is a candid and intentional communicator, able to manage up, across and down with ease and good nature. Working effectively in partnership with Encounter’s Executive Director and Board of Directors is essential.
● A Bachelor’s degree is required.
● MBA or MPA strongly preferred.
● 8-10 minimum years work experience in relevant leadership positions.
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter in PDF format and as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and “Chief of Operations” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Encounter. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Encounter is an equal opportunity employer. We carefully consider applicants for all positions without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family status, sexual preference, status with regard to public assistance, mental or physical impairment, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.